iiDEA group, coordinated by the Director of the Engineering Institute, is focused on the identification and evaluation of alternative energy sources in order to develop solutions to water scarcity, lack of electricity and perishable food.
The main region of interest is located in Northern and Northwestern Mexico because of their following features:
- Abundant renewable energy sources.
- Large expense of coastline.
- Overexploitation of aquifers.
- Need of desalinated water supply.
- Lack of electricity supply from the grid.
- Great potential of urban, touristic, commercial and agricultural development.
On the other hand, several areas of Mexico have been identified as potential places where the projects undertaken by the iiDEA group could be implemented.